Thursday, January 26, 2012

Good firsts and bad firsts (Tara Kelly)

In the writing world, this last year has been a real roller coaster ride of firsts, leaving me to wonder...what's next?

The Good:

My first book made two 'best of' lists (BFYA and Bank Street) and won its first and only award.
I gave my first award speech...ever.
I gained the courage to go out in public and do my first signings.
I participated in my first book tour, with a group of other authors.
I attended my first book related conference (NCTE) where I spoke on a YA writing panel for the first time.
A group of teens made their first movie based on my first book.
My second book made it onto major retailer shelves (a first for me).
I'm writing my first thriller, a completely intimidating and game-changing experience for me. It's forcing me way out of my comfort zone and making me take a hard look at where I'm weak as a writer.

The Bad:

The last book I wrote, my favorite yet, was the first to not sell. Broke my heart.
My first book did not make it to paperback.
I got my first taste of how a writer's numbers can affect a career.
For the first time since my short career started, I'm completely unsure of what's next for me. I have no new books coming out, and I don't know if I'll sell another.
I got my first hate mail and hate thread.

The verdict? I'm still here. I'm still writing. I'm not giving up. 2012 is going to be the year I take risks. It's going to be a fresh start. The first time I say--why not--when it comes to pushing boundaries in my stories and 'going there' with my characters. We'll see what happens next...

4 comments:

  1. Life is definitely a mixed bag. With everything shifting so rapidly in the book world, even great authors like you are facing challenges. Whatever you do, keep writing!

    Callie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hate mail from a stupid person can be a badge of honor.

      Delete
  2. I just read "Amplified" last night and really liked the story. To be more specific, I liked how you surrounded the lead characters with memorable, often quirky secondary characters. None of them were just walk-ons; all contributed to plot, scene-setting or other story elements. Someone like me who doesn't know anything about being in or auditioning for a band got an up-close impression of what it's like, without being aware of too much exposition. Most of all, I admired that with words as your only available tool, you so vividly conveyed the sound of the music and the energy and fear onstage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a firm believer that no book ever hits a dead-end. I'm certain that you'll find a way to sell your latest book--an upswing is coming your way, I can feel it!

    ReplyDelete