I'll Leave Kissing to the Pros (Anna Staniszewski)

When it comes to writing about romance, my inner ten-year-old emerges. I get giggly when my characters hold hands, and when it comes to kissing, forget it! That might explain why the relationships in my books tend to be pretty platonic.

After my debut novel, My Very UnFairy Tale Life, came out this past November, I was pleasantly surprised to hear how much readers (and parents) appreciated the fact that the story didn't have romance in it. Some middle grade readers want a more challenging story but aren't really interested in romance.

The way I look at it: there are plenty of other authors out there who write amazing romances between their characters. I bet they don't giggle when they write kissing scenes. I guess they might be a little more grown-up than I am, and that's fine by me.

Maybe one day I'll write a story that brings out my inner teenager, but for now, I'll leave the romance to the pros and continue having fun with my characters' G-rated relationships.

Comments

  1. There's plenty of time for romance--early years in girls' lives should definitely be about learning who THEY are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Writing kissing scenes gets easier with practice. But I agree that they don't belong in every book--not even in every YA book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ditto!!! It's like cursing...it shouldn't be gratuitous. :o) Besides, there is so much exposure to it everywhere now a days--sometimes that absence makes a stronger statement.

      Delete
  3. Romance, for MG and younger, amounts to crushes, not kissing. Oh, I know, there are all those unusual and atypical whatevers. But the budding of real romance starts with YA.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still giggle through writing romantic scenes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tremors ran through her when his finger tips danced up her ... tee hee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah! *covers eyes and ears* *giggles uncomfortably* :-)

      Delete

Post a Comment