Trying not to take things for granted

by April Henry

This month, our theme is gratitude.

I have so much to be thankful for.  I am as healthy as I have ever been. After losing three friends to cancer in 2011, and having two more diagnosed with cancer in 2012, I'm trying not to take that for granted. I'm also trying to be thankful and aware of my life. Things change. Nothing lasts forever.

Me and author LK Madigan, who died from pancreatic cancer a few months after this photo was taken.
Me and author Bridget Zinn, who died from colon cancer a few months after this photo was taken (and whose first book, Poison, comes out in March).

I am thankful that 2012 was the most successful year I have had in my career, by far, and that 2013 is shaping up to be at least just as good. 

I am grateful that the last few months have brought some struggles and challenges in my personal life. They've helped me connect more strongly with God.

I am thankful for all the teens who write me and describe themselves as "your biggest fan." 

I am especially grateful for the girl in Pennsylvania who wrote me and said, "To be honest, I was never, ever interested in books, or anything school related. I found Girl, Stolen in my school library, and the cover looked interesting, the one where she has her hands in front of her face. That was the first time I've ever read a book without being told to by a teacher. You've really inspired me to read, and now I'm taking home books from different libraries everyday! Thank you so much, I can't believe I've been missing out on books through out school, now I'm in love with them."


Comments

  1. What a fantastic letter to receive! And I know exactly what you mean about being grateful for good health. Wishing you a happy and healthy '13!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that letter! How gratifying to know something you've written made such a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the reality check, April. I've been thinking about you as I'm reading and enjoying TORCHED right now. I'm very happy to know that 2012 was a great success for you. Keep it up. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wishing you health, happiness, and success in 2013!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Best wishes for health, happiness, and success in '13
    Your friend always,
    Neil

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment