The Book Sale that Saved Me - Kristin Rae

This has been one of the hardest years I've ever known. I don't feel like celebrating anything these days. Except for the New Year. Where are you 2014? I need you and your fresh start.

What's weird, 2013 started out REALLY good. I sold my book in February! Just before my 30th birthday, too! I was actually going to be published! This year ROCKS!

Then the world fell apart. I won't depress you all by throwing my woes on you, but I will say I'm still struggling. I became so angry that the year took such a turn that effected so many people I love, then it just kept turning and turning down darker and darker paths. I've dealt with things I never dreamed I'd experience. I've watched our closest friends suffer a terrible loss. I wasn't prepared to handle any of it. But who is ever ready for hard times? Especially the kind that wreck you emotionally through and through. I don't know what I would have done without my family and my most wonderful husband to hold my hand through all of it.

And I had no idea how much I would cling to the memories of celebrating my book sale. My dad and grandmother and I went to Orlando for my birthday (my mom has been ill for nearly two years, so she couldn't go), and partied with Harry Potter, drinking pumpkin juice and butterbeer and riding everything at both Universal parks multiple times over three glorious days (yes, my grandma still rides roller coasters! She just can't scream with her mouth open or her teeth will fall out).

Hogsmeade at night - iPhone and some Instagram filter

Selfie with Grandma Rosie in front of the Despicable Me house.

Each time I dipped back into my dark place, I was due for another round of edits, or I got to see my cover for the first time, or some blogger would randomly find out about my book and send me a gushing email about their anticipation. Something to focus on. Something to look forward to. Something good. This book kept me from completely losing it this year.

I celebrate the coming New Year, 2014, and the hope of healing, moving forward, talking less, loving more, and, of course, a book launch!
 

Comments

  1. I am so sorry this has been a difficult year. I hope 2014 only brings you blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm totally with you, Kristin. Come on, '14!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really sorry to hear how hard this past year has been for you. :( But I love how your book came to your rescue time and time again. Here's to hoping for a fabulous 2014!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, ladies. So glad 2014 is here!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am ready for a new year too. This fall, I spent a month with my mom while she was on hospice, and then I ended the year in the hospital, discharged the day before New Year's Eve. It's definitely time for a new, better year for both of us.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment