'Tis Easier To Give Than Receive...Compliments (by Jodi Moore)


"You'll recognize my mom. She's the small, bouncy woman who'll gush about your performance and crush you in a hug."

That's how our son described me to his fellow cast-mates I would have the privilege to meet later that night following a show.

I suppose it was fair warning. Because I am, and I did.

 To me, this was a wonderful description. A totally “Tiggerific” compliment.

You see, I’m not great at accepting compliments, but I’m passionate about giving them. Years ago, I worked as an administrative assistant to the executive director of an arts festival. While she oversaw hundreds of volunteers and many committees, she'd always make sure that if someone sharpened a pencil for her, he/she knew it was the best darn point she’d ever seen.

Consequently, while working there I witnessed some of the best darn smiles I’ve ever seen.

Yes, I know some people think withholding praise will only make others strive harder to achieve their goals or attain that recognition…and I’m not saying that never works. But the journey – for all involved – is so much more pleasant when the road is paved with compliments and smiles.

As a writer, I face rejection on (almost) a daily basis. It goes with the territory. Most of the time, I can handle it.

But not always.

About a week ago, I was feeling a bit more “Eeyore” than Tigger, for a variety of reasons, some personal, some writing-related. So, my sweet husband stepped in. He peeled me away from my novel-in-progress, booked me a massage, took me out for a cute little lunch, and capped off the day with tickets to Won’t You Be My Neighbor? (The Mr. Rogers documentary – if you haven’t already seen it, you must!)

The movie is a tear-jerker (but in a good way), and as we drove home, I found myself snuffling into my tissues and blubbering, “See? The world needs more Mr. Rogers – did you see how he made those children smile?”

And Larry said, “Don’t you see? That’s what you do with your books. And that’s why you have to keep writing.”

He reminded me of this letter I had received from a fourth grader after a school visit.



*sniff*

And while it's still easier for me to give than receive compliments, I realized that was exactly what I needed to hear at that precise moment. It was the hug I needed. And I accepted his compliment...with thanks, and a HUGE return hug.

After all, I am known to be a small, bouncy woman who crushes people in hugs.

Comments

  1. Wonderful post. It's a great feeling when something you did lights a fire in someone else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. It is indeed. Hugs! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. "One day I want to be a singer, but I was worried someone would stop me."

    That is the greatest letter ever. It would also make for a good first sentence of a novel :)

    Paul

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omigosh! It WOULD! :) Thanks, Paul. The letter actually made me cry. I think I need to read it everyday. :) xoxo

      Delete
    2. I second that! Would make a GREAT story.

      Delete
    3. Frame it and put it near where you work. Also, I would read that novel.

      Delete
    4. Hmmm... *minds spins with possibilities* I'm working on the 9th full revision (!) of my YA, but I may just have to let this one marinate in my head while I do! :)

      Delete
  4. Can we clone your husband? Please??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I love when you write about your husband. Sounds like the world needs more men like him.

      Delete
    2. Awww, thank you! Yes, I am truly blessed. <3

      Delete
  5. I'm volunteering to go through all the books in the library at my daughter's preschool and toss/keep/order. It's a big job, but I came across your books, and that made ME smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhhh, Courtney! *heart squish* Thank you so much! Sending so many hugs your way! xoxo

      Delete

Post a Comment