Stretching, Limits, Balance by Kimberly Sabatini

As a dancer, runner, a mom, and a writer, I know about the power of stretching. 
Reaching for more, even when you do it in small increments can net large gains over time.

I tend to believe that reaching for the stars--extending--almost always leads to unexpected, positive surprises. 

And pride. 

But I also believe in the power of limits. 

Boundaries are sometimes just as powerful and beneficial as the breaking of glass ceilings.


It's not just about trying to stay in my own lane. 

Sometimes it's about deadlines and expectations. 

And it's about making things fit--understanding your container and not overstuffing.

And sometimes...

“Done is better than good.” 
― Elizabeth Gilbert, Big Magic: Creative Living Beyond Fear


But if stretching AND having limits are both really good things that have positives--how the heck is someone supposed to know when to push and when to sit back?

I think it comes down to balance.


We have to feel our way...
 and constantly reinvent ourselves in order to find our equilibrium between stretching and using limits to their best effect.

We have to be comfortable making mistakes, self-examining our choices and changing directions. 

I'm currently reading a fascinating book that is making me think deeply about these very topics and a ton more...



“Fear can be created quickly; trust can’t.” 
― Ed Catmull, Creativity, Inc.: Overcoming the Unseen Forces That Stand in the Way of True Inspiration

Take all the time you need to keep discovering how stretching, limits, and balance work the best for you. And when you think you have it all figured out--be sure to remember that you've only begun to scratch the surface. You've got a lot more work ahead of you. <3




Comments

  1. Neato. I've shared it on Facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got to check out this book. I love that quote about fear!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! Stretching is good (though, must confess if I stretched like that woman in the picture at the top, I'd never be able to un-stretch and be stuck in that pose forever!).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Will check out this book! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment