ONE MORE TIME--By Kimberly Sabatini

All month long, we're blogging about things that have actually worked or gone right (in our writing lives or elsewhere) in 2020. I'm taking a little liberty with this post and the historical moment we are living in. I'm blurring the lines between the past and the present--between what has been, what should be, and what I hope will be. 
What should always be...


 


If I say goodbye, the nation learns to move on... 
It outlives me when I’m gone 

Like the scripture says: 

“Everyone shall sit under their own vine and fig tree 
 And no one shall make them afraid.”
 
They’ll be safe in the nation we’ve made.
 
I want to sit under my own vine and fig tree.
 
A moment alone in the shade. 
At home in this nation, we’ve made.
 
One last time.
 
One last time.

Though, in reviewing the incidents of my administration, 
I am unconscious of intentional error, 
I am nevertheless too sensible of my defects not to think it probable that I may have committed many errors. 

I shall also carry with me the hope that my country will view them with indulgence; 
And that after forty-five years of my life, dedicated to its service with an upright zeal-- 
The faults of incompetent abilities will be consigned to oblivion, as I myself must soon be to the mansions of rest.

I anticipate with pleasing expectation that retreat in which I promise myself to realize the sweet enjoyment of partaking in the midst of my fellow-citizens, the benign influence of good laws under a free government, the ever-favorite object of my heart, and the happy reward, as I trust of our mutual cares, labors, and dangers.

One last time

ONE MORE TIME...

Comments

  1. This is beautiful. I have so much hope. It's a good feeling to have, after the past four years. (I was so relieved when Biden won that I burst into tears.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing. I'll breath easy on January 21st 2021

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yup--not out of the woods yet, but there's light in the distance. ❤️

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment