summer loves (a list)

old-school composition books (stuffed with pictures, as well as words. Movie tickets. Popsicle sticks. Flower petals tucked between the pages).

homemade mixes on cassette tapes. And playlists decorated with magic marker hearts <3

roller-skating at Hot Wheels. (I still have my quads with the pink wheels).

shout outs on Power 96.

endless rounds of Super Mario.

midnight swims in hotel pools

falling asleep with a Sony Walkman tucked under your pillow

secret poems inked on your sneakers

cicadas buzzing like UFOs in the late afternoon

reading stacks of graphic novels in the treehouse

drawing your own graphic novels (and never getting past the first page)

finding a stack of those faded composition books...

...and remembering.

Comments

  1. :-)

    And for me, pitchers of iced tea, stacks of new library books, and going barefoot in the cool grass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! My grandmother always made iced tea for me. It came from a mix. But it always tasted better when she stirred it.

      Delete
  2. Great list! And I remember those homemade mix tapes; I still have a couple of mine, except now I don't have a cassette player to play them on. And I also remember that Super Mario was very addictive. That and the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles games.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you remember the "save game" technique? Hit pause and turn off the TV. In the morning, play again! lol

      Delete
  3. I still have some mixed tapes I can't play but I can't bear to part with either. :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have shoeboxes overflowing with tapes! In a way, they're almost like an audio diary.

      Delete
  4. Oh, the cicadas! I just found a tub of early submissions (around '04, '05), and was surprised by how far I think I've come--as a writer AND etc. Sometimes, it's nice to be reminded of that, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this list. Drawing hearts on sneakers brings back memories. As do roller skates. Super Mario rocked! We just our kid one off e-Bay and he loves it. No new games for us. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. "secret poems inked on your sneakers"

    YES!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment