So Many Books, Not Enough Bookshelves (Patty Blount)

Do you like the title of this blog post? I just saw it as a Facebook meme from Eloisa James and I had to use it because that's a good indicator of my reading interests.

I met Eloisa when she addressed my local RWA chapter. I adore her fairy tales series, especially When Beauty Tamed the Beast. 

I'm also a huge Kristan Higgins fan, after getting to meet her at another RWA event. I have a mad passionate love affair going with her hero, Levi Cooper, from The Best Man. 

Show of hands, how many of you have heard the names Jeannie Moon or Jennifer Gracen? If you haven't, you will -- I promise. I've had the pleasure of meeting and getting to know both of these talented ladies when I joined my local RWA chapter, the Long Island Romance Writers. Jeannie's third novel in the Forever Love Story series is coming out next month -- it's my favorite in the group. And Jennifer's first novel was just released. It's the first in a new series called Seasons of Love. 

I'm also diving into the New Adult pool. I'm reading a boxed set from Lyla Payne on my Kindle. New Adult is more of a classification than a genre, but it seems like it's beginning to take on genre-like properties. I've been enjoying the discussion -- and the debate -- on what New Adult is. I love authors like Lyla, bravely paving the roads for the rest of us. 

I belong to a great book club called Book Hungry. Our name is a tribute to the first novel we read, The Hunger Games. (See what I did there?) Every month, one of us picks a novel that we discuss, critique, argue about, and eventually review on our respective blogs. Some of us are authors, but all of us are readers and that's what makes it fun. I've read books I've hated, books I expected to hate but loved, and books that left me kind of confused or downright frightened. It's been great fun busting out of my reading rut and finding new things to appreciate and aspire to in my own writing projects. We just had an active and spirited discussion over the final Divergent book, Allegiant. 

If you read last month's YA Outside the Lines post from me, you'll remember that my son and I have a little book club of our own. We've been reading the Game of Thrones and True Blood books together. Which is better -- the book or the HBO show? For Game of Thrones, we agree the show is better, but for the True Blood, we think the books rock. 

I love to read and it shows, doesn't it? Here's a picture of the wall over the window in my living room. I love to read in front of this window. The quote over the window is from Longfellow. It
says "The love of learning, the sequestered nooks, and all the sweet serenity of books." 


Comments

Post a Comment