We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves

I am reading Karen Joy Fowler's We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves, because Barbara Kerley  from my writing group was so enthusiastic about it.

I have been reading it in bits and bites (literally five minutes here and ten minutes there), and I think I really should be reading it in longer chunks. Today I had to re-read ten pages I had already read when I was too tired to fully take them in, but it's so well written that I didn't mind.  For example:

"The sun was down, but the horizon was still a scarlet slash. Crows were rioting in the trees."

I wish I could write like that.

My two favorite books from 2013 were Kate Atkinson's Life After Life and Donna Tartt's The Goldfinch.  

I have several books waiting in my TBR pile: Cold Calls by Charles Benoit, Panic by Lauren Olivier, and The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion.

Do you have any books you would recommend?

Comments

  1. That is beautiful writing! I never read The Goldfinch, but loved Tartt's A Secret History!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Move The Rosie Project to the top of your stack :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Read The Goldfinch! And I'll move Rosie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh. Love those lines from WE ARE ALL COMPLETELY BESIDE OURSELVES.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment