Five times when reality exceeded my dreams (by Patty Blount)

This month, we're blogging about dreams vs. reality.

When I was a little girl, I dreamed of being an author someday. You know, writing the kind of books readers would close with happy little sighs....and I did it. It took me a very long time -- decades, actually -- to see that dream come true.

And now that I can officially call myself Patty Blount The Author, there are more than a few perks I get to experience...

1. My family say I'm an inspiration... I set a goal and worked hard to make it happen.

2. My day job coworkers see me in a different light... they see that when I promise something, I keep my word.

3. My readers send me incredible messages, thanking me for characters that resonate with them, that inspire them to fight for things they might have ignored.

4. My chapter-mates at Long Island Romance Writers seek my advice on an array of topics. This never fails to amaze me...that I have ideas and opinions people want to hear!

5. Other authors invite me to join them -- there is no greater measure of success than when your peers recognize your contributions to the industry. I am so proud to have been a RITA Finalist last year and this year, I was invited to participate at the Barbara Vey Reader Appreciation Weekend. In July, I'll be doing a workshop for the YARWA chapter and will also take part in a panel discussion at the RWA National Conference in San Diego. In the fall, I'll happily be offering a workshop at the Connecticut chapter's Fiction Fest event. I've mentored several new authors, and am prouder than a new mama to tell you ALL received requests from industry pros to see their work. And the most exciting thing of all? I'm delivering the keynote address this June to a high school's honor society inductees.

These are all dreams I didn't know I had. I guess dreams are funny that way...one comes true and it sort of gestates into new a generation of dreams.

Comments

  1. Great post! Very motivating and inspiring. I just requested to get more info on the Long Island Romance Writers group thanks to this post. I had no idea this existed! I've been searching for something that focused on YA, but this works too! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Stephanie! I look forward to meeting you at an upcoming LIRW meeting :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment