I Could Totally Fake It, But... (Sydney Salter)

Topic: Music 😬

I felt the same way when that 10 Concerts meme soared around Facebook last week.

I actually go to a lot of concerts.

After seeing My Morning Jacket for the first time in Salt Lake City, we drove to Reno, dropped the kids off with grandma, and drove to San Francisco to see the band again. That was back when Jim James was so shy that he sang with his shaggy blond hair covering his face. But I'd have to admit that the chance to see the Pier 39 sea lions probably thrilled me more.

On the night I saw The Frames, Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova were fighting, so she left the stage after singing each of her parts. I quickly saw that the Once romance was soon to be Once Upon A Time...  So much drama!

I'm in the mosh pit of The Offspring's "Gotta Get Away" video. Drenched in the sweat of teenage boys. Oh, was I glad to be old enough to go buy a cold beer afterwards! 🍺



But -

The concerts I've attended say less about me, and more about my husband. He LOVES music. Lives, breathes music. He trekked to Coachella long before young Hollywood made it cool. He's the "Dad" seeing the hot new band in the grungy little club.

Before I met my husband, I had notoriously bad, or, so I'm teased, taste in music. Those concerts? Howard Jones. Huey Lewis And The News. The Cars. I loved Billy Ocean - permanently disqualifying me from any music criticism, according to my husband.

I often tag along to shows to spend time with my husband. To watch him enjoy something he loves. I do like to dance. The people watching is usually excellent. Shoving teenage boys around: a bonus. I also enjoy being present with someone else's creativity.

Watching Prince onstage was simply inspiring. So much passion! I identified with that creative energy. I even figured out a solution for a problem in my WIP during that concert.

I just don't have strong opinions about music. I can't name the bands who sing songs I like. It's all background to me. One the plus side, that does make me an excellent road trip companion. Play whatever you like!



Comments

  1. That's a great story about Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova and the Billy Ocean part made me laugh! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment