Dark, Dry, & a Little Twisted

For this month, the topic is humor. As a writer of all-things-dark-and-suspenseful, I spend a lot of time immersed in intense stories—with intricate plots and complex characters. I’ll spend months immersed in character studies, trying to understand one's psychology. What causes “good” people to do “bad” things? How is it that “good” people justify their "bad" actions? What about their childhoods helped inform their present-day behavior? How much is nature versus nurture?

Sometimes I need an escape from all of that. For me, one of the best escapes is television and film. I'll often choose humor over other genres.

Even though much of what I write tends to be dark, I love comedyso much that I'll often find myself adding dark humor into my work. There’s something just so delicious about finding the funny side of an uncomfortable, complicated, or horrible situation.

So, in honor of this month’s theme, here are 25 of my favorite funny shows and movies, a blend of dry, dark, and a little bit twisted. And, so I don't feel guilty about lounging on the couch to watch rather than work, I remind myself it's research;) 

  1. Cheers
  2. Seinfeld
  3. Frasier
  4. Two and a Half Men
  5. The ’Burbs
  6. Bridesmaids
  7. Meet the Fockers
  8. Meet the Parents
  9. Abbott Elementary
  10. Kim’s Convenience
  11. Dying for Sex
  12. Sex and the City
  13. The Hangover
  14. Ted Lasso
  15. Shrinking
  16. The Wedding Singer
  17. The Office
  18. White Lotus
  19. Bad Sisters
  20. Trains, Planes, and Automobiles
  21. Parks and Rec
  22. Game Night
  23. Curb Your Enthusiasm
  24. Modern Family
  25. Only Murders in the Building

Comments