Just Wait Until I Think of Something to Say!
by Charlotte Bennardo
The theme is embarrassing moments and humor. Honestly, some moments are too personal or not appropriate to share here, or I've moved on. I've shared my aspect on humor on the Smack Dab in the Middle blog which you can read here: https://smack-dab-in-the-middle.blogspot.com/2026/07/ha-thats-good-one.html so there's no sense repeating it.
As for most embarrassing moments, I usually don't use humor, unless it's in hindsight. Only once the embarrassment, shame, mortification, and pain are gone can I make a humorous comment or observation. But in that moment....
Photo courtesy of Kaboom pics, Pexels.
Reddening face, tightening gut, drying mouth, wanting to shrink into nothingness- that's how I initially deal with embarrassment. I'm quiet. Sometimes I can offer a good comeback, if I feel someone has been cruel or wrong to embarrass me. Later on, after I've thought about the situation, I'll formulate all those great comebacks I should have said, which in my mind, would have resulted in nervous laughter from the insulter (and a lesson not to do it again). But, it always seems we think of these great comebacks hours or days later, when the incident has passed and only I seem to be wallowing in it, the typical late "So take that!" to an empty room.
When it comes to my characters though, I usually can give them a great comeback, or some witty repartee, which makes readers admire them. Too bad real life isn't typically like that, right?
Charlotte is busy promoting her new YA fantasy, The Excalibur Vow, and is working on the sequel people have been asking for. Her adult sweet romance, Christmas Bells, Hanukkah Lights, is currently under her editor's review and will debut in 2026. She writes MG, YA, NA, and adult novels and short stories in sci fi, fantasy, contemporary, horror, paranormal, and romance genres. She is the author of the award-winning middle grade Evolution Revolution trilogy: Simple Machines, Simple Plans, and Simple Lessons. She co-authored the YA novels Blonde OPS, Sirenz, and Sirenz Back in Fashion. She has several short stories in anthologies, online, and her website, along with newspaper and magazine articles. She's applying her MFA skills on several children's and adult novels and short stories. She lives in NJ but dreams of a Caribbean beach house. And more cats.

Comments
Post a Comment