Hi YAOTL’ers, it’s me! Sorry I haven’t written in so long. I got sidetracked by a tiny touch of cancer. I’m okay, but it’s been a tough few months, starting with the diagnosis on the Ides of March through surgery after April Fool’s Day, and hearing they got it all and I’m cancer free a week later.

 

I got through it all with the support of family and friends. I also coped by following the example of my oldest brother Bob, who defined the term perseverance. Born with a disability that gave him health issues throughout his life, he faced it all with a just-keep-swimming philosophy and an upbeat attitude that could make Shirley Temple look like a curmudgeon.

 

And he laughed. Because as he would say, life will throw a lot of crap at you. You can either laugh or cry, but wouldn’t you rather laugh?

 

Yes. Yes, I would. And though my laughter has sometimes been more of a wince, I’ve chosen to see the funny side of this journey, like the tech who hovered nearby with a Geiger counter after my radiation treatments and the fact that my oncologist performed the surgery using a robot. Fun fact, though I pictured the robot from Lost in Space or R2-D2 wearing a surgical mask, the machine turned out to look more like an industrial-sized washing machine. With arms. And scalpels.

 

With more energy post-surgery, I’m back at writing, finishing up Every Time We Say Goodbye, the third and final book in the Beryl Blue, Time Cop series. Next, I turn to my memories of my brother again as I revise and polish My Bicentennial, a semi-autobiographical coming of age story about a teenager finding her way and finding her voice during her senior year of high school, 1976. It’s both a time trip to the ’70s with groovy clothes, cars, and music and an emotional journey with a lot of drama, tears, and, of course, laughter. Because that’s how I roll.

 

- Janet Raye Stevens writes mysteries and time travel adventures for all ages, with humor, heart, and a dash of suspense. Connect with Janet at her Website

Comments

  1. I'm so glad you're doing better. When the dust settles, I hope you'll write about it. The ability to laugh through that is really special.

    ReplyDelete
  2. (John Clark) Glad you came out the other side and looking forward to reading your forthcoming books.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment