Hoo, Doggies (My Response to A.I.) Holly Schindler


That's what I always wind up saying, anyway--every single time I try out some A.I. somethingorother. Hoo, doggies. A.I. in writing's been around for some time, really. I've been trying for years to find something I could incorporate into my workflow. I've tried all sorts of grammar programs, programs that map out the plotline of your draft so you can see areas of action and inaction, etc., etc., etc.

When ChatGPT entered the conversation, I had hoped that it would be something of a pothole detector. I'd hoped I could give the program the basic plotline of a novel and then ask it to tell me the ending. If ChatGPT's brain is fed by all other existing works, I figured it would tell me what the cliche was. What to avoid. What not to step in. 

Pothole detector, see?

Only, it didn't. It was so bad, it didn't even get to the cliche yet. Totally unhelpful.

I haven't given up, though. I keep plugging away at it, hoping there will be some angle.

Right now, though, nothing's ever really done what I wanted it to do. Which is to say, what a human would do.

My favorite Tracy / Hepburn movie has always been Desk Set. Hepburn is a librarian working the research desk out to prove to Tracy that no computer can ever do what a human brain can do. 

I tend to think she's right. After all, what makes the Internet great is other humans. Of course, trolls and cyberbullies make that previous statement look totally boneheaded--but I really mean it. Over the last several years, I've joined too-many-forums-to-count in order to figure out repairs on my home. I've joined networks of epileptic dog owners to better figure out how to care for my dog. I am right now enrolled in five (5!) online courses taught by independent artists and musicians. 

I tend to think someday, off on that horizon somewhere, there will be some sort of A.I. that allows writers to connect and work in the same way the Internet connects us. More abilities to collaborate, to edit, to work together in real time. 

At least, that old-school movie buff in me that still adores Desk Set hopes that's what will be.

~

Holly Schindler is a critically acclaimed and award-winning author of books for readers of all ages.

Comments

  1. (John Clark) I remember trying multiple times to use programs that took what I said and typed it. I trained the blasted thing three times, but every time I started trying to tell a story, I froze and went back to my ever trusty one-finger typing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, don't get me started on dictation. I apparently have a serious case of Missouri lazy-mouth. It translates NOTHING I say right.

      Delete
  2. AI has, and will always have, limited, specific uses. It will always be dependent upon being fed algorithms, and no matter how sophisticated they become, it cannot make AI totally duplicate the human brain because it lacks emotion and spontaneity. Used in its limited way, of course, it can be invaluable, but (in my opinion, anyway) depending on it to think/reason for us as creative beings can only result in frustration. Now I need to go find Desk Set to watch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really can't CREATE a single thing. Which is where the frustration probably comes from, as you say. Oh, man, I love Desk Set!

      Delete
    2. The above comment came from me. :)

      Delete
  3. Believe it or not, one of my very first stage roles (community theatre) was as one of the library researchers in a production of Desk Set. Such a fun...and prophetic!...show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. !! That's seriously cool. Man, I love that show.

      Delete

Post a Comment