Not Much of a Rebel (Holly Schindler)

I wasn't much of a rule-breaker in high school. Or maybe the more correct statement is I never got in much trouble. 

I engaged in my share of shenanigans. I don't think anyone gets through high school without smoking a few cigarettes on campus, goofing off when they were supposed to be working, or sneaking off to be with a boy or two. (I mean, just to name a few examples, just off the top of my head, no idea how those came to me.)

No one would have ever made a movie about my teen years.

Have my teen characters engaged in some of those actions? Sure. Has it been with the intention of being a rebel? Nope. I don't think rebelling is ever the point, just as it was never the point with me. It's about following the want itself: the relationship, the ten minutes of blowing-off-steam time. 

There's no stick-it-to-the-man quality with any of my teen characters. But there's want. And maybe the want is where much of a teen's story lives. It's not about external rules. It's more about filling something inside. And in order to find that fulfillment, along the way, a few rules accidentally get broken. 

~

Holly Schindler is the author of the YA novel A Blue So Dark

Comments