A Year in Review by Wendy Delsol


The Mayan End of Days. The fiscal cliff. Honey Boo Boo named as one of Barbara Walter’s most fascinating people. 2012 has been quite the odyssey.

 

While my own year can’t quite match the above-mentioned events, it’s had its moments.

 

This year saw the publication of the third and final book (Flock) in my Stork trilogy. My publishing journey began in 2002 with a personal vow to write a novel. It took eight years and four practice books before I saw Stork published in 2010. Another two years behind me and I have four book in print (an adult contemporary is the fourth).

 

Because I do not have a 2013 release, the timing of this month’s year-in-review topic is fortuitous. With my trilogy complete, it’s an opportunity for reflection. I’m grateful to Candlewick for believing in my story. I feel incredibly fortunate to have met so many wonderful readers and fellow authors. My 2012 highlights include BEA in June, RWA in July, and the Iowa City Book Festival (also in July).

 

I couldn’t recap this year without mentioning the shoulder surgery I underwent 5 weeks ago. The hiatus it necessitated has been equal parts mental frustration and restoration (physically it’s been grueling). Having written under deadline for the past three years, it’s nice to know that I actually miss the creative process. What I haven’t missed is the self-marketing and promotion side of this job. For more than a month now, my on-line presence (Twitter, Facebook, blog) has been almost nothing. It’s been a much needed breather. One I highly recommend.

 

Finally, I’d feel remiss not to mention the horrific events that took place only a few days ago at Sandy Hook Elementary in Connecticut. I was deeply saddened and troubled by the news, as were millions around the world. While I don’t pretend to understand the grief the family and friends of those lost are experiencing, my thoughts and prayers are with the people of Newtown. I am moved by the condolences pouring in from around the globe. May we remember to cherish our loved ones this holiday season.

 

Wishing you and yours peace and joy in 2013.

Comments

  1. Congrats on finishing up your trilogy...and here's to diving back into those creative waters!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so wise about taking a breather!

    Am busy cherishing my family as I type ...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment