CHRISTMAS LOVE (Holly Schindler)


I dig Christmas.  I love the smell of pine and little white lights and decorating the house and wrapping gifts.  I love carols and stockings and made-for-TV holiday flicks and carving the roast beast.
Jake and I both also love absurdly dorky Christmas sweaters...This year, I have to admit, our sweaters are awesome in their badness...
 

If Thanksgiving is the holiday to pause and let yourself truly feel all that you have to be grateful for, then Christmas, I’ve always figured, is the holiday to do something to show the people in your life how important they are to you—and it never has to involve spending a ton of money.  It’s a card filled with well-wishes; it’s an unexpected plate of homemade cookies; it’s taking a moment to share a cup of cocoa and a long talk at a kitchen table; it’s making plans for a new year together, while tingling with excitement.

…Since 2010, when A BLUE SO DARK released, I've always included my readers on my gratitude list.  And they're right at the top of my list again this year; they've been so incredible as I made my announcements regarding my forthcoming books (a YA, FERAL, and a middle grade, THE JUNCTION OF SUNSHINE AND LUCKY).  In all honesty, connecting with and getting to know my readers has become every bit as enjoyable to me as actually writing my books.

As I wrap up the year, my thoughts keep turning back toward my readers, and about how I can do more to show my gratitude, especially as my two books in development near publication—how I can connect with them even more in the future.  For those of you who haven’t yet, please do sign up for my mailing list, to keep in touch with all these new ideas.



Here’s wishing all of you a pleasant end to ’12, and here’s hoping that ’13 brings growth, comfort, pleasant surprises, and the kind of exciting developments that make your heart feel like it’s about to bust right out of your chest!

Comments

  1. Holly, that IS a badly awesome sweater. Also, I signed up for your mailing list. And Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merry Christmas, Jody! Thanks for signing up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So odd. The comments I made yesterday didn't show up on people's posts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My dog Gizmo looks like a smaller version of Jake. They're both so handsome! Whenever I put a jacket or sweater on Gizmo, he freezes into a doggie statue. With all that fur, he doesn't need one, so I've given up. You and Jake look very festive!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Truly awesome sweaters! I love how you describe the Christmas season, too. Wishing you a wonderful holiday.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment