Why 2012 Was Made of Awesome (Rachel Harris)


2012 was made of awesome for many reasons. Sure, it wasn’t perfect, but it was filled with moments of pure perfection. This was the year I attended my first big conference as a published author. This was the year I saw a book I wrote on a bookstore shelf. And this was the year I sat on an author panel and actually sounded like I knew what I was talking about.

I hung out with some of my favorite authors… and totally fangirled. I had drinks with my publisher and didn’t stammer uncontrollably. (Okay, maybe I stammered a little). I had book signings and guest speaking opportunities and met countless fantabulous bloggers and readers who not only read my book, but also said sweet, mind-boggling things about it. I grew in my craft, challenged myself and pushed the boundaries of what I was comfortable with, and dreamed big.

But I think that at the end of the day, even with all that in mind, my favorite thing about 2012 was seeing the smiles on my daughters’ faces the day my book was released. Hearing their squeals as they danced around Barnes and Noble, because yes, they are my children, and we do participate in public displays of giddiness. And listening to the stories they’ve created the past year, believing now that they too can become authors someday.

See, my dreaming big has encouraged my children to do the same. It has inspired them to pursue their passions and believe that nothing is impossible if we want it badly enough and are willing to work hard to achieve it. The cool thing is that I homeschool my children and every day we discuss big ideas and learn amazing facts, but I don’t know if any of those things are more important than the lesson this experience has taught them.

Now that 2012 is dwindling to a few short weeks, I can see how much I’ve grown the last twelve months. I see the things I did well and cringe at those I rather sucked at. And I move forward into 2013 with a full plate of writing books and attending even more conferences and events where I’m sure I’ll fangirl on even more authors. But it’s my hope that as all that is happening, I never lose the sense of excitement and wonder that this year has brought. This profound feeling of blessing. I’m doing what I love and people are reading what I write. Seriously, how cool is that?

So, dear friends and readers, as another year comes to a close, my wish is that each of your 2013s be filled excitement, wonder, and blessing, whatever it is you are hoping to achieve. Dream big; know that nothing is impossible. And take a moment to fangirl over your favorite authors if you see them. It keeps you young.

What have been YOUR favorite moments of 2012? Any hopes for 2013? Come chat with me in the comments :)

Comments

  1. I totally made book blogging my New Year's resolution last year - and look! I'm here one year later with almost 365 days of blogging under my belt! EVERY. SINGLE. EXPERIENCE I have had reading, reviewing, promoting and all-round geeking out over books have been my best experiences of 2012. I have met SO MANY wonderful people and have established relationships that I hope will last a lifetime. And that includes you, Rachel! ;D

    Thank you for sharing your favorite moments with us. You are living proof that ANYTHING can happen!

    (Now, my New Year's resolution for 2013... Well, that's still a secret. But let's just say that it's not too far off from your accomplishments in 2012.) ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow yeah, you accomplished a lot in a year. I <3 your blog!! And getting to know you has been one of my highlights, too!

      And now that you've given me that teaser about your own goals for 2013, expect me to be hounding you for details lol. Happy Holidays, chica! xoxo

      Delete
  2. I have so many favorite moments from this year. I fangirled a lot (including over you my friend, totally in awe!). I started blogging more regularly, though I'm not very good at it. It's still a work in progress. I realized that I'm one year away from getting my degree.

    I think the thing that I'm most excited about from this year was starting my book. The writing community I so adore gave me the courage and support to go on an adventure that I could only dream of. I signed up for NaNoWriMo and made a huge push to write and got a good chunk of the book done. Now, I plan on being finished with the first draft by the end of the year. So hopefully next year, when I look back on 2013, I can say my most memorable moment is when I finally joined the ranks of those folks I totally fangirled over. :)

    Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stephanie!! So glad I'm not the only one who fangirls he he. And congrats on the degree!

      Nano is such a fun way to push forward and get the words down on paper. To know that you can do it. I wish you tons of witty words and steamy scenes as you finish the year, and I look forward to reading your own post on why 2013 was made of awesome next year! Love ya, girl

      Delete
  3. Congrats on such a fantastic year, Rachel! May there be many more to come...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment