SEEING YOURSELF AS THE HERO (HOLLY SCHINDLER)


At the end of the first chapter of my latest YA, SPARK, Quin says:

"Who am I to expect something magical to happen for me? I'm the great-granddaughter of the biggest kook to have ever walked the streets of Verona, Missouri. I'm a B-average student with big glasses and plain hair. Magic is for girls who have far flashier backgrounds and powers and look like drawings of superheroes in comic books."

Only, magic does happen for Quin...and isn't that truly the most satisfying story of all? The story in which the clumsy, the awkward, the less-than-perfect suddenly becomes the star of the show? Find that they had strength of abilities they never could have imagined?

And isn't it satisfying because it allows us to believe that we could also be the heroes of a sweeping tale? That as imperfect as we are, we could step up and save the day?

I think that's the best part of writing for younger readers, actually--telling a tale that lets whoever that is holding my book believe that they are a hero. All they need is an opportunity to show their heroic side. All they need is a story to star in...


Comments

  1. So true, Holly! That's what I love about writing for young people too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment