Why YA?

            The topic this month is why we write for a young adult audience. I feel this topic, though seemingly straightforward, could get a bit complicated considering that YA is so widely read by an adult audience now. For starters, it is read by writers, agents, editors, reviewers, librarians, teachers, parents, booksellers... It is also read by adult bloggers, vloggers, Bookstagrammers, BookTubers, and BookTokkers. A recent article I came across said that more than thirty percent of YA readership consists of adults. 

            So, are we writing for YA, really? 

            Is the increase in adult readership changing the content and demands of the YA genre?

            If so, is the intended audience – the actual young adults – enjoying these changes? It seems “sophisticated” material is being explored more and more in YA. But who is reaping the benefits? Teens? Adults? Both?

            Good questions, and maybe the answers are not so straightforward. But, personally, as a writer, I’ve had to take a couple steps back from thinking about audience because having that mentality – for me, for now – means that someone will likely be disappointed (including myself).

            I wrote Jane Anonymous without thinking about audience at all (and it was published for “upper YA”). I’m writing my current work-in-progress the same way (and I’m guessing it will be published for “younger YA”), but I feel those age parameters can be somewhat limiting – for the audience and for the writer.

            But, back to why I went into this business of writing for young adults to begin with? That answer is pretty straightforward. I wasn’t a big reader as a teen, so I wanted to target those like me, who didn’t naturally gravitate toward reading, and get them excited about books. Whenever I did get excited about reading as a young person, it was with titles that were filled with mystery, suspense, secrets, and romance. It’s no coincidence that my first line of books explored those very topics.

            Why am I still exploring “young adult” themes? For one, I feel there’s such opportunity. Those years of “teen-hood” are filled with so many first, so much drama... It’s a time of beauty and ugliness and disappointment and embarrassment and heartache - all at once, sometimes. For another, perhaps I still feel empathy for my old teen insecure self, and I hope other teens can find solace in what I’m able to share. 

Comments

  1. This part says it all.
    hose years of “teen-hood” are filled with so many first, so much drama... It’s a time of beauty and ugliness and disappointment and embarrassment and heartache - all at once, sometimes. For another, perhaps I still feel empathy for my old teen insecure self, and I hope other teens can find solace in what I’m able to share.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a smart post. I think a lot about how adults are changing YA...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment