AUTHOR INTERVIEW: Crissa-Jean Chappell chats with Jen Doktorski

 

Sixteen-year-old Reece is an expert at keeping secrets. She has to be, since her father abducted her ten years ago. For as long as she can remember, she’ s been on the run, sneaking food out of the dumpster and sleeping in the woods. Every time she moves, the same rules apply— cut your hair, change your name, and, above all, don’ t let anybody get too close. Reece has no choice except to obey Dad’ s orders. When Reece meets her first real friend, a boy named Shawn, she begins to realize that everyone else has secrets too. And the deadliest secret of all is the one her father has kept from her all these years.


1.    Congratulations on the release of SUN DON’T SHINE! You and I have had very similar publishing journeys in that we’ve published with the big five, a large independent publisher, and a smaller literary publisher. Can you talk a little bit about your varied experiences with the editorial and marketing processes?

When I sold my debut in 2005, I was surprised to hear that it wouldn’t hit the shelves until the fall of 2007. It felt like such a long time to wait! The process of editing a book can take years. Although the journey from completed draft to published novel is similar with a small press, you might get a little more “behind the scenes” in terms of marketing (for example, input on cover design, etc.) At Fitzroy, my editor sent a questionnaire about the cover for SUN DON’T SHINE. I’m thrilled with the design, which perfectly captures the noirish vibes of Reece’s story.

Of course, every author’s experience is unique. I’m fortunate that I’ve enjoyed working with both big and small presses over the years and all the brilliant editors were champions for each specific book.

         

2.    Another similarity we share – and it’s one that’s typical of many authors – is that we set our books in our home states. Why do you think that is and how important is setting to you in storytelling?

Setting is a reflection of the protagonist. And you can use it to build obstacles and conflict. So it’s a very important part of the story. When I start working on a new book, I think of a character in trouble. The “where” becomes part of the “who” in terms of their arc. When we first meet Reece, she’s in the motel parking lot, digging for scraps in a dumpster. I’m a pantser, not a plotter, so I wasn’t exactly sure where Reece would end up in the final chapter, but I had a sense of her growth and change.

I’m from Miami and (so far) all my novels are set in Florida. I always talk about the disconnect between the way my home state is portrayed in TV shows and movies, which feels so far removed from the beautiful swamp where I grew up. It’s such a complex place—so much more than palm trees and flamingoes. A few of my settings have included the Everglades, the Beachy Amish community in Sarasota, and my next book is set in Titusville, the best spot to watch a rocket launch near Cape Canaveral.

 

3.    How is the promotional tour for SUN DON’T SHINE going? I’ve been watching your posts on social media. You are very busy! Any surprises along the way?

After the world shut down in 2020, it’s an absolute blast to be back on the road, signing copies at wonderful indie bookstores. The writing process can often feel lonely. You’re alone at a desk, talking to invisible characters in your head. So I love the chance to meet readers and talk with them in person. Thanks to the magic of social media, I met a librarian at my book launch in Miami and she said, “I started following you on MySpace years ago…” (and we never met until now). That was a big surprise!

         

4.    I love how you give a voice to characters who find themselves in precarious situations and face morally ambiguous choices. What drew you to write about teens who, by society’s standards, are outside the mainstream and living on the fringes?

I write about outsiders because I’ve always been one. In my second book, NARC, the protagonist, Aaron, describes himself as “human wallpaper” and that’s how I felt in school. I was watching everything from a distance, always scribbling in my notebook like a spy and living in the imaginary worlds I created on paper—my doodles and maps of make-believe kingdoms and half-finished graphic novels. I’m so glad that I saved a lot of that stuff (future authors: don’t throw away your notebooks!)

         

5.     And finally, congratulations on the sale of your sixth YA novel to Fitzroy Books. What can you tell us about this story?

I’m so excited that my new YA thriller, NEVER LEAVE ME ALONE (summer 2026) has found the perfect home with my editor, Jaynie, at Fitzroy Books. The story revolves around a character close to my heart. Birdie is an Instagram star who specializes in urban exploring. I had a lot of fun researching the setting on the Space Coast of Florida. It’s such a unique city—full of yearning for big dreams beyond the stars.


Crissa-Jean Chappell was born in Miami and now lives in Brooklyn, New York. Her debut young adult novel, TOTAL CONSTANT ORDER (HarperTeen) is a NYPL Book For The Teen Age and a VOYA Perfect Ten. Chappell’s second novel, NARC (Flux Books) is currently optioned for film. MORE THAN GOOD ENOUGH (Flux Books) is a Florida Book Awards medalist, which Kirkus calls, "compelling and emotionally nuanced." Chappell's newest YA novel is SNOWBIRDS (Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers). “…an engrossing mystery,” School Library Journal. Next up: SUN DON’T SHINE (Fitzroy Books, spring 2024). She holds a PhD and MFA from the University of Miami and has taught creative writing and cinema studies for over fifteen years. When she misses South Florida, she talks to the parrots in Green-Wood Cemetery.

Learn more about Crissa at Crissa-Jean Chappell. Buy her book at Regal House Publishing, IndieBound, and everywhere else books are sold!



Jennifer Salvato Doktorski received a 2024 Fellowship from the New Jersey State Council on the Arts. She is the author of five young adult novels including FAMOUS LAST WORDS (Holt), a Bank Street College Best Children's Book of the Year and THE SUMMER AFTER YOU & ME (Sourcebooks), a YALSA Teens' Top Ten nominee and the forthcoming FINDING NORMAL (Fitzroy books Jan. 2025). Visit her at www.jendoktorski.com or Instagram @jendoktorski.




Comments

Post a Comment