You May Hate It, But You Gotta Love It

 by Charlotte Bennardo


Editing: mention editing and many writers shudder, grimace, and whine. Maybe even cry. I know I used to. I HATED to edit. Who wanted to take the time to check grammar, fix the spelling mistakes, and read for plot holes, time inconsistencies, and purple prose when I could be writing? I'd do it, but reluctantly, grudgingly, unhappily. 

But I learned to love it. 


Photo by Porapak Apichodilok: https://www.pexels.com/photo/woman-holding-white-printer-paper-beside-leaf-plant-388898/

How? When I went through one manuscript, and saw the red ink on every page (yes, I prefer to work with red pen and paper copy of my manuscript to edit), it disheartened me. It would take so long to input all the revisions. But I did it. When I reread it a few days later, it was so much better. I knew it wasn't perfect, but I was excited that it was closer. Maybe with another review, it would be? Or two? 

It took multiple reviews and revises. 

But each time it got better; when I couldn't see any more changes, I had done all that I could. Now it was up to someone else (beta reader, critique group, professional editor) to take it to that last step. 

One tip I'll offer is to take an editing course. I had to take one as part of my MFA and it makes a difference. Reading other people's work forced me to deal with styles and genres and various stages of smoothness. What I saw that didn't work in their manuscripts made me dig deeper into mine. 


Photo by Pixabay: https://www.pexels.com/photo/gold-quill-pen-372748/

Now I look forward to editing (until the umpteenth time). When I can find no more issues, that's when I put it away for a week or so to rest. If I pull it out and can find nothing more than a comma to change, it's ready to go out on submission.

Unless the agent or editor suggests further edits.

Till next month...


Charlotte writes MG, YA, NA, and adult novels in sci fi, fantasy, contemporary, and paranormal genres. She is the author of the award-winning middle grade Evolution Revolution trilogy, Simple Machines, Simple Plans, and Simple Lessons. She co-authored the YA novels Blonde OPS, Sirenz, and Sirenz Back in Fashion. She has two short stories in the Beware the Little White Rabbit (Alice through the Wormhole) and Scare Me to Sleep (Faces in the Wood) anthologies. Having finished her MFA, she's applying what she learned and is working on several children's and adult novels, along with some short stories. She lives in NJ but dreams of a Caribbean beach house. 

Comments

  1. Nothing helps you become an editor for yourself like being an editor for someone else.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment