Johnny, We Hardly Recognize Ye

 

Camden-Rockport High is no longer, alas

Of all the things I did (or didn’t) do when it came to rules when I was a teen, the one instance that came to mind relating to this month’s topic of rule breaking might strike you as a head scratcher, but back in the fall of 1965, it made perfect sense.

I had achieved three years of perfect attendance by the time senior year came around. However, when we got to school on day one, we discovered the school had gone to a rotating schedule. Looking back, it doesn’t seem like a big deal, but for reasons that escape me, I was irate.

My way of rebelling was to skip school on day two….and attend with my friends at their school. I went to Union High, they went to Camden-Rockport High. If I did something like that today with all the threats to schools, I’d probably be arrested, but back then, everyone was amused by my ‘rebellion’ and rolled with it.

I went to all the classes my girlfriend’s brother and two cousins did. Had lunch with them, my girlfriend, and my sister’s boyfriend, got a lot of smiles and comments about my rebellion, and drove back home at the end of the day.

I never missed another day of school, but my blended perfect attendance wasn’t recognized.

How this, and other high school experiences, like making moonshine in chemistry class, plus earning a letter in girl’s softball are fodder for another day. All of those memories come into play as my many teen characters navigate not only high school, but varied expressions of rebellion, including turning bullying football players into piglets.


 Union High's Thompson Memorial building remains, but kids now attend Medomak Valley High

 

Comments