Have Yourself a Merry Little Workweek (by Cyn Balog/Nichola Reilly)


Weeks like the one coming up, it’s hard not to be swept up in that feeling. You know the one I’m talking about, don’t you?

The one where everyone else in the world has is on vacation but you?

No?

Right, that’s probably because you’re on vacation. You’re a teacher, or a student, or have a lot of time off that you need to use before the end of the year. Meanwhile, I’ll be sitting behind a desk on Christmas Eve, crying on my keyboard, wondering how my life could have gone so drastically wrong.

Times like these, when the radio station at my work plays tunes like I’ll Be Home for Christmas, I think . . . NOT!  And Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas, I think of Judy Garland singing to Tootie and I’m like, all they were boo-hooing about was moving to NYC and missing the World’s Fair. Big deal. They could easily hang that shining star upon he highest bough because they had Christmas off, and enough free time to make a slew of snowmen in their yard.

I am working pretty much every day this week, which makes for a lot of fun figuring out who will babysit the kids, who have 2 glorious weeks off. Not that there aren’t PLENTY of people available to sit with them… so many people are facebooking about their winter vacation escapades that I’ve already had to put my news feed off-limits. 

It’s weeks like these I start to rethink the full-time job idea. But it’s necessary for me, without a trust fund, a rich husband, or a multi-million-dollar book deal.  Still, there has to be a better way. After all, it often seems like most everyone else in the world has found it but me.

Happy holidays.  I salute you from my office, where I will be knee-deep in spreadsheets. But in the remote chance someone like me is reading this, fist bump. You’re not alone.  Have an after-work hours egg nog on me, my friend, and let your heart be light.

Comments