Regret Is a Sign You're Not at the End (Holly Schindler)


It happens. Everyone has created something that didn't live up to the image they had in their mind. Everyone. You've taken a picture that didn't look right on second glance. You've opened a stove and found a burned cake. You've tied a ribbon on a gift and frowned at the limp ends that just refused to curl under your scissor blade. 

I have a few writing projects like that. Even published projects. 

But the thing is, these days, published isn't the end. A book doesn't find its audience? Take it down. Rework it. Publish it again.

I have some previously-published work that I'm brainstorming rewrites for. I'm considering completely reinventing one into a scripted podcast. (I'm the last person on earth to start listening to podcasts, and also the biggest podcast junkie.) Now that I'm working in earnest on improving my art, I'll be revising the illustrations for illustrated work as well. 

I think regret isn't sadness about an ending that isn't what you'd hoped. I think regret is this nagging sensation inside you that there are improvements to be made. (In my personal life, it can also be a sensation that a wrong needs to be righted.) 

Regret, I think, is your heart telling you the fight (for a project or idea or love) isn't over yet.

~

Holly Schindler's debut YA, A Blue So Dark, has been updated and republished by her InToto Books imprint.

Comments