My First Love was a Fawn (Amy K. Nichols)

Lucy and Mr. Tumnus,
illustration by Pauline Baynes 
My first book love was a fawn.

Weird. I know. I feel a bit uncomfortable, slightly vulnerable, sharing this with you.

But the truth is, the first time I read The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis, Mr. Tumnus curled up and settled into the corner of my heart. I was so taken with the magic of stepping through the wardrobe to a world of winter, of finding a lamppost and meeting a creature from another world. I wanted to be Lucy. I wanted to drink tea by the fire and listen to Mr. Tumnus play his flute.

Okay, now I realize how creepy it is that he was actually going to kidnap Lucy and take her to the castle of the White Witch, but I knew deep down he was really a good fawn who wouldn’t harm a daughter of Eve. 

When he was turned to stone, I cried.

I recently took my family to see a stage production of The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. While I love all the characters in the book for various reasons and was interested to see how they’d be recreated for the stage, I was most curious about Mr. Tumnus. I mean, how do you make a living, breathing fawn from Narnia?

I wasn’t disappointed. His costume included strange shoes without heels, like you’d see Lady Gaga wear, which gave the actor fawn legs. Seriously. Fawn legs! He had little fawn horns and this Tumnus wore a very smart coat and long scarf. 

There he was. Mr. Tumnus. For real. He was the best part of the production, if you ask me. As I watched I was transported again to that mysterious land, and once again, I wanted to be Lucy, sitting by the fire, drinking tea.

Comments

  1. Those first loves never go away, do they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All thanks to this great man called Dr Agbazara the great spell caster that bring back the joy in me by helping me to bring back my lover who break up with me Four months ago but now with me with the help of Dr Agbazara the great love spell caster. All thanks goes to him you can also contact him for help if you need him in times of troubles via: ( agbazara@gmail.com ) you can also WhatsApp on this Number +2348104102662

      Delete
  2. They sure don't! The fun part now is watching my kids get into books, and wondering who their first book loves are going to be. I'm pretty sure my daughter's is Percy Jackson.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved Mr. Tumnus too, though not quite as much as I loved Aslan. I really want to re-read The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All of The Chronicles of Narnia make my list of first loves! I wonder how many children through the years would say the same?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also loved Mr. Tumnus! (and growing up in Florida....nothing seemed more otherworldly/magical to me than snow).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I contact Dr.Agbazara when i had of him and This was even faster than I could dream of. Thank you for taking time to listen to me and answering all my emails Dr.Agbazara. I feel emotional strong again. My confidence is back and I can see my future clearly now. I am forever grateful for your help in re-uniting me with my lover who divorced and left me years ago for another woman. you will see for your self what am saying when you contact this great spell caster called Dr.Agbazara on for any help at: ( agbazara@gmail.com ) OR call or add on WHATSAPP: +2348104102662 ) and get your problems solved.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I saw a comment here a few weeks ago about Dr Agbazara and i decided to contact him as instructed, thanks to this man for bringing joy to me as wished for. i followed instructions which he gave in other to get my lover back who left me and the kids for 3years now, but thanks to Dr Agbazara because they are back to me now for good and we are happy together. please do contact him for help too if in relationship problem via email at: ( agbazara@gmail.com ) OR Via WhatsApp on: ( +2348104102662 ). And testify for yourself.  

    ReplyDelete
  8. I saw a comment here a few weeks ago about Dr Abolo and i decided to contact him as instructed, thanks to this man for bringing joy to me as wished for. i followed instructions which he gave in other to get my lover back who left me and the kids for 3years now, but thanks to Dr Abolo because they are back to me now for good and we are happy together. please do contact him for help too if in relationship problem via email at: ( Abolospell@gmail.com ) And testify for yourself.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment