art is here to help you - Alisa M. Libby

I have been especially grateful lately for the work of artists - musicians, painters, sculptors, writers - in whose art I find comfort or terror or inspiration. Art is immortal. Time doesn't dull these things - centuries can add mystery to a piece. Marble sculptures inspired me while writing The Blood Confession. Writing The King's Rose I walked around humming "Pastime with Good Company" (it brought the house down at those Tudor shindigs, I'm sure). And often what we read and see can lead us to a place we never expected. We just have to keep our eyes open.


Comments

  1. "find comfort or terror or inspiration" -- I love that! Art isn't just meant to make us feel warm and fuzzy, like, "oh that's soo pretty". It's supposed to make us think! make us feel!

    That cool spider reminds me of the big controversy in my town right now (small towns...gotta love 'em). There's a huge spider carved from wood, currently on display on the outside of our theatre building. Some people defend it as art, while others are totally creeped out by it, lol. At least it's got them talking. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that art can be inspirational; I've heard that it's a good idea to go to art museums when you're feeling blocked. I never get tired of going to the Art Institute in Chicago, because it always makes me feel good to look at the paintings, especially the Impressionists' work. Looking at each painting is like taking a walk through someone else's imagination.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment