Void (Bill Cameron)

Right before I started working on this post, I watched this video.


The video is well-worth a viewing, but if for some reason you can’t, it shows a series of astronomical objects, comparing their size, starting with the relatively small like Ceres, Pluto, and the Earth’s Moon and working up  through planets, stars, and eventually galaxies. It continues to the scale of our universe’s cosmic web: tendrils of multi-galactic structure billions of light years across that weave through voids vast enough to contain millions of galaxies themselves. (For a clickable representation of the scale of sizes and distances in just our Solar System, check out OMGSpace.net.)

When you’re about to reflect on the topic of staying relevant, that is either the worst video to watch, or the best. Maybe both.

I confess relevance isn’t something I think much about. My first young adult novel came out about two months ago. I’m fifty-two, a grandpa. I haven’t had a teenager living at home for more than two years, or a high school student for more than four. My daughter is in her 30s. I listen to classic rock and wear cargo shorts unironically. In a way, I have about as much business writing about and for teens and I have performing brain surgery. (For the record, I am not a brain surgeon.)

We’re not talking about scales here of the sort represented in the video above, of course. I can still remember being a teen, after all — especially certain specific moments of intense embarrassment my brain likes to relive for me in vivid Technicolor® all too often. But in a way, merely presuming I can write with any relevance for an audience whose experience of the world is so different from my own feels like a species of arrogance, like shouting across one of those cosmic voids and expecting to be heard.

For me, the answer is to not worry about relevance. Instead, I worry about writing stories that are true. Oh, sure, they’re “made-up” in the sense that they’re not factual in the way non-fiction must be. But non-fiction can be rigorously factual and still present a distorted view of reality. Fiction may do that too, but at its best, fiction can reveal deep truths. As a writer, that’s what I aspire to achieve.

Big words, those. Translating that ideal into a readable tale (even if it’s only read by me) is the trick.

In practical terms, that means respecting my audience. It means I read a lot, and listen a lot to people who both write for and make up my audience — acts which are their own reward in addition to helping me be a better. It means I work very hard to check my assumptions and prejudices, and to try to reflect real people in the characters I create — not specific real people, but the truth of the life experiences and values real people have.

Now, whether I succeed or not isn’t up to me, of course. But if I’ve done my job well enough, relevance takes care of itself. If I’ve been true to my audience, then maybe I’ll have the chance be heard across that great gulf. The years and the distance then may become irrelevant.


Comments

  1. Fiction can reveal deep truths.... I love this! So true.

    Writing stories that are true (even in fiction) has become a way for me to avoid writer's block (that paralyzed me last year). Worrying about relevance forces us to write for external reasons. I do my best work when I write for internal ones... If that sounds self-centered, that's not how I mean it. I mean that worrying about what everyone thinks is simply too much. I have to write for me. If others respond to that, great. If not, well I still have my day job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you can always find people who will respond when you're being true to yourself, Patty. :)

      By the way, it's getting close to apple pie season, and that means your gift will be getting a thorough work out!

      Delete
  2. Great post. I'm 68, but write and read mostly YA (and some wickedly dark short crime stories), Since retirement last year, I find myself talking less and listening more-a great combination when it comes to understanding how/what others think. Thanks for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Berek. I'm happy you enjoyed it.

      Delete
  3. Great post, Bill. I wound up quoting you in mine. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment