Keep Walking (Amy K. Nichols)

I took this photo last summer just after San Diego Comicon ended. My friends and I had taken the ferry over to Coronado Island to catch dinner and watch the sunset. It's a bit of a tradition for us. At some point I took this photo by accident, only finding it later after I got home and synced my phone to my computer.

I like this photo because it shows me walking.

Just a couple of months before I took this photo, I faced a health crisis that made me question if I'd lose my ability to walk altogether. I'd taken an antibiotic called Levaquin that, among other things, had attacked my joints and tendons, causing me incredible pain and limiting my mobility. When I realized the drug had poisoned me, one of my first thoughts was, I guess I won't be going to SDCC this year.

But I did go.

First I worked my butt off getting better. Then I walked my butt off at SDCC.

The con exhausted me even more than usual. But I did it and I have this photo as a reminder.

It reminds me that life is unpredictable and at times difficult. It reminds me that I'm stronger than I think. It reminds me that my story isn't over yet. It reminds me that there's still road ahead of me. And  it reminds me that my job is to keep walking.

Comments

  1. It's funny how sometimes the accidental pictures work in unexpected ways.
    Glad you're feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, wow--it's amazing the things we take for granted. Like just being able to walk! I'm so glad you're recovering.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment