We all want luck ... or do we?



Fortunately ... (Ned was invited to a surprise party)
... I love to write.

Unfortunately ... (the party was in Florida, and he was in NY)
... I don’t always know what I’m doing.

Fortunately ... (his friend lent him an airplane)
... I wrote a novel called Vanessa the Contessa anyway.

Unfortunately ... (the motor exploded)
... it was rejected many, many times.

Fortunately ... (there was a parachute on the airplane)
... two editors loved it after I revised it.

Unfortunately ... (there was a hole in the parachute)
... neither editor made an offer.

Fortunately ... (there was a haystack on the ground)
... I wrote a second novel called Sink or Swim

Unfortunately ... (there was a pitchfork in the haystack)
… I never finished it.

Fortunately ... (he missed the pitchfork)
… I wrote a third novel AND had an amazing critique group

Unfortunately ... (Ned missed the haystack)
… my third novel was also rejected many times.

Fortunately ... (he landed in water)
… an agent gave me detailed feedback on it.

Unfortunately ... (there were sharks in the water)
… it took me a long time to revise.

Fortunately ... (he could swim)
… I loved the book even more when I finished.

Unfortunately, there were tigers on the land
…the agent didn’t love it as much as I did.

Fortunately ... (he could run)
... I attended a novel writing workshop with a friend

Unfortunately ... (he ran into a deep dark cave)
… the workshop had nothing to do with publishing

Fortunately ... (he could dig)
… my instructor recommended me to his agent anyway.

Unfortunately (he dug himself into a fancy ballroom)
… his agent only represented novels for adults

Fortunately ... (there was a surprise party going on)
… she recommended me to another agent

And fortunately ... (the party was for him)
… the 2nd agent loved My Invented Life & sold it to Holt

Because, fortunately ... (it was his birthday)
… it was my birthday (not really).

The end ☺

Thanks to Remy Charlip!!!!

Comments

  1. Wow, Lauren. Such a creative way to write about luck. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that book, and now I love this post too. I guess it's all about luck *and* not quitting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the way your story about Ned and the surprise party and how you compared it to luck. I think that your story also shows that persistence is important, because if you hadn't kept trying and if you hadn't kept writing, the "party" would never have happened. But you kept going, and now you can par-tay! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute! And yes, it is all about perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this post--I love your humor, but I also love your honesty about all those close calls. A single close call can be far more heartbreaking than a hundred form rejection letters!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment