Reading in Bed Makes Me Recharge My Battery--Kimberly Sabatini

This month's topic is about how we take breaks and recharge. I can give you a laundry list of things I do to unwind and reconnect, but there is one habit I've had consistently, for as long as I can remember. 

I snuggle up with a book at night. Reading in bed makes me recharge my battery--the one in my flashlight too.



I wish I'd kept track of all the flashlights and book lights I've worn out over the years while tucked under the covers. I've read all kinds of books--fiction, non-fiction, children's and adult. I've read for only three minutes, before my eyes would start to droop. I've read into the early morning hours, unable to put a good book down. I've read with cats snoring behind my knees. I've read with a nursing infant snuggled up close. I've read with one ear cocked for my parent's footsteps on the stairs. I've read to celebrate. I've read to keep the fear at bay. I've read to learn. I've read to be entertained. I've read favorites over and over again. I've read the debut books of my friends. I've read books I wished I would have put down. I've read the books I wished I'd written. I've read with a pen close by, to underline things I didn't want to forget. I've also read enough to know I'll never have a TV in my bedroom. But mostly I read to lose myself--to turn off the hamster wheel of my own brain--allowing me to slip peacefully into a different layer of myself. I love to read in bed.

Do you read in bed? What's your favorite thing about spending time with a flashlight and a book?




Comments

  1. I, too read in bed...a lot. I have the perfect job to do so. I'm a librarian and don't go to work until 10 am, so I can get away with reading until 1-2 in the morning most of the time. I love a book that absolutely forbids me to put it down until it falls out of my hands because I'm too sleepy to hold it any more. Best of all is getting up the next morning with the house to myself and knowing I have enough time to finish it before heading to work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is the life!!!!! I love it when I suddenly wake up and realize I fell asleep or when I realize oh, crap--it's 2am. Means they were awesome books. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVED to read under the covers after bedtime! (I remember once my dad caught me and told me to get to sleep...and I thought, "How can I sleep when the HURRICANE is coming in this BOOK???")

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love reading in bed! Used to read in the bathtub and my paperbacks would all be a little warped looking from wet fingers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I find it difficult to read outside my bed as I can't get into the right frame of mind when interrupted, or in a dynamic environment. I like reading when I'm in a very relaxed, sleepy state as I think it's much easier to tap into my imagination then. I like this quote by Anna Qindlen:
    “…We read in bed because reading is halfway between life and dreaming, our own consciousness in someone else’s mind.”

    ReplyDelete
  6. YES! Reading in bed was my favorite thing to do as a kid. I got back into this year and it makes it so much easier to fall asleep (well, unless the story keeps me up!) and unwind from my day. I'm never giving it up again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love reading in bed too! But my hubby can't sleep with the light. Thankfully, the light on my Nook doesn't seem to bother him. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are some great tools that i definitely use for SO work. This is a great list to use in the future..
    Wall Sconces

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment